Tuesday 5 February 2008

Gearing up for the 2009 European Elections...

What does the Labour party need from its European Parliamentary candidate?

It needs a candidate who will fight for a greater slice of European funds to provide better investment for projects in our communities.

It needs a candidate who will work with the region’s farmers to help ensure that they receive Union financial support and not corporate agribusiness and large landowners.

It needs a candidate who will help our region’s prestigious universities promote their research and development programmes within the Union and beyond.

It needs a candidate who is close enough to the region’s young people to understand what motivates them, and to encourage them to take advantage of the many educational and other opportunities available to them in Europe.

Finally, it needs a candidate who will work tirelessly to ensure that the East Midlands claims its rightful place among the greatest regions of Europe.

I, fellow Labour Party colleagues, am the candidate who has the enthusiasm, commitment and focus to achieve this. With the benefit of both youth and experience, I believe I will be able to bring new approaches to old problems and hope to encourage a fresh wave of thinking in the Party.

Raised in Grantham, I know the region and what is important to its people by heart. But, after spending time living and working abroad in countries such as Italy, Poland and Japan, I have also learnt how the East Midlands can work with, and learn from, other major regions in Europe and the rest of the world. There is a great wealth of opportunity for businesses and individuals to look beyond the boundaries of the UK, and flourish in new markets.

Since graduating from Oxford University, I have pursued a successful career as a commercial property lawyer in the City of London and in Edinburgh. I believe this experience will stand me in excellent stead in public office as I have learnt how to analyse complex and varied problems, then find workable, effective solutions. These skills will be particularly valuable in Brussels, where the intricacies of European law and the complexities of different member states’ interests, mean individual voices can sometimes be drowned out. I will put my skills to good use in ensuring that the voice of the East Midlands will be heard loud and clear.

My involvement in politics began in 1997, when I volunteered to canvass for Labour along with my father ahead of the General Election. At university, I continued my political activity through my college student union, for which I was elected publicity and campaigns officer. Until now I have been involved with Scottish Labour and have been in discussions about assisting Alistair Darling, Sarah Boyack MSP and Catherine Stihler MEP with their respective campaigns.

Select me for the next European elections and you will be choosing a devoted, yet creative candidate who is prepared to listen to both Party and people and battle for their interests in Europe.

No comments: